Weekend Update
Sunday, June 28, 2009
This was my latest project. My dad built this bookshelf in junior high and it housed my shoes in our closet last year in Sarasota. It was brown and, I love you dad, ugly! It needed a fresh coat of paint and some contact paper. Doesn't it look great?? I only toot my own horn bc I am proud of my new found ability. :)
Well, BIG NEWS! Danny and I are under contract for our first home! It is in an adorable neighborhood in South Tampa, close to school for me and close to the crosstown expressway for Danny. The best of both worlds! We went back and forth with the seller, and finally put our foot down and went out on a limb with our final price (lower than his 'final price') and got exactly what we wanted!! It is a very small home, at about 1300 square feet, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. The main room is half living/family, half dining with no wall separator so I will need to be crafty in "separating" the two rooms. We are very excited, but still need to go through inspection (fingers crossed since it is an old home). We will keep you updated.
It was a rainy weekend full of searching for the perfect wood to put in our new home (coming august 7th!) and relaxing inside. I was proud of Danny and I for searching and searching until we got the best deal on the type of wood we want! We went to lumber liquidators, but were very nervous when we found out that most of their wood is discontinued or damaged and that is why they can sell it for so cheap! They also tacked on additional charges that were extraordinarily expensive for glue and sealant. I knew I could do better! We finally haggled with a local wood store and they are going to rough up our current floors (terrazzo yuk!), set the new wood, and give us new base boards all for a GREAT price! Yippee!!! I love to cross things off my list and that was a big one. I just know the closer I get to the end of the summer (and closing day) that is not something I want to worry about since we will be worried with getting our booties in that house!
It is hard not living alone, but we are so thankful for Danny's parents to let us live in their home, eat their food, watch their tv, and so much more! We are looking at another 5 weeks and I know we can all do it and still be friends! Ha! I have already been shopping for home items (if you know me at all, you know I jump way ahead of myself most of the time!). I will share a few of them with you in a bit. For now, have a great week and remember to enjoy the rest of the summer because it is flying by!



5 comments:
Yea, how exciting!! When you sign those papers saying it is your...you will want to open a great bottle of wine to celebrate! Next time I come down we will have to meet up and show it off :)
FINALLY I am able to find your blog! I saw you were one of my "followers" but it wouldnt let me click on you to find your blog-- My SIL, Lauren had told me you guys went to school together and that you read my blog, but I wasnt able to click on you until I saw a comment you left on my cousin Stephanie's blog! Glad to finally "meet" you! Congratulations on signing the contract for your first house! SO exciting! I remember sitting in our attorney's office signing all of the papers at our first closing and feeling so grown up! We've done it twice and both times it's been exciting and gives you such a "big girl" feeling! :) Also loving your furniture updates. I am such a "do-it-yourself-er" -- you can save so much money by slapping some paint on something and using it instead of buying something new to replace it with. After we first got married, I painted several of my husband's things black. (including our bedroom furniture, that had been his for YEARS...it was that dark brown that shined, that was big in like the 80's/early 90's)-- I love how it turned out! After seeing your white pieces, though, it makes me want to paint something white or a COLOR... I'm adding you to my sidebar, so I can find you from now on! :)
Love it! I love the paper, very pretty and love that color!
Great transformation! It looks fresh and new! Super job!
I love this makeover. Sounds like we have a bit in common as well: Christians, teachers, and wives. I hope to see more of your projects!
Post a Comment